Thursday 27 March 2014

Holly's (belated) 3 week update

Holly has been here for 3 weeks already - I have no idea where the time has gone but apologies to Claire who has been patiently waiting for an update and I'm sorry its taken me till today to get the photos up!
Holly arrived with a medio-lateral imbalance which her feet were also displaying. The top photo is her caudal shot on the day she arrived and its clear that the lateral side of this foot (the LF, so the lateral side is on the left of the photo) had been overloading compared to the medial side. 
Fast forward 3 weeks and this is the most interesting comparison shot, I think, as it shows a foot which is becoming more balanced. 
The difference is more subtle on a lateral shot but she has a slightly less under-run heel and a shorter toe and the line charts her hoof capsule growth quite nicely. 

 Same story on the RF, her better foot, but that also had lots of room for improvements, which Holly is now starting to make.

One of her issues was relatively weak soles which flexed on finger pressure. Although she has reasonably good collateral groove depth her toe is long and she has quite a stretched white line
The only real solution for this is to grow in stronger and better connected tissue and this is what Holly is now doing. The old, weak growth will still be evident in her sole for some time to come but her sole and bars are already looking healthier. 

She has a better white line on the lateral side and it will be interesting to see if she maintains that medial deviation or if it continues to reduce, as it has so far. 

1 comment:

Pat v d B said...

Wow, Nic, I think this is one of the most impressive set of changes I've seen - and I've been following your blog for a good few years. Maybe my memory is not so good, but in every way there are such very obvious changes for the better that even I can see - and often I battle to see what you clearly see. As usual I have to presume no trimming on your part - just good diet and self improvement through movement on your tracks? Fantastic after only 3 weeks!