Thursday 9 May 2013

Frogs in a hurry - aka New girl Itsy

New girl Itsy arrived from Yorkshire earlier in the week but after Tuesday's mammoth blog (which surprisingly appears to have been one of the most popular posts I've ever done) its taken me till today to sort out her photos.
She is a smart 6 yr old mare who has had recurrent RF lameness problems since November 2011, according to her vet's helpful report. On MRI she had impar ligament damage and rest, remedial farriery and anti-inflammatory medication has so far not resulted in her returning to consistent work.
The photo above is of her worse foot; certainly the contracted frog and heels on both fronts are something we would want to see improve fairly quickly.
The comparison shots give an interesting clue as to how much the shoe was restricting the palmar hoof.
There is only 24 hours between the shod and unshod photos but look at what has already happened to the frog.
 More on Itsy soon!

2 comments:

AmandaB said...

I can't believe how quickly that has changed I know for a fact I only put her on the lorry 2pm Monday ! AmandaB

Nic Barker said...

LOL! I was pretty surprised myself - I only took more pics as its so hard to see a foot when the shoe is on!