Saturday 28 May 2011

Stride length comparisons

I've taken some new footage of Flynn's landing - its not yet as good as it will be, but he's improved over the last 2 weeks and is beginning to engage the caudal hoof particularly on his LF.

His RF is his worse foot and I would expect it to be another couple of weeks before he is capable of landing heel first on that foot.

What is interesting, in the meantime, is how much his stride length has improved in a relatively short period.
Here is his stride length on day one - I've taken the lines from the top of the RF to each toe, for consistency.
As you can see, he is extending his leg further in front in the swing phase of each stride and he is also loading the hoof longer in the stance phase.  Clever boy :-)


Flynn from Nic Barker on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Media Wurzel said...

He is clever. In fact, he's so intelligent sometimes it scares me. He seems to be sliding that FL foot in towards the outside edge. Or is that an optical illusion? Massive improvement though. Cheers Nic.

Nic Barker said...

Yes, he is slightly overloading laterally on both fronts - harder to see on this view - well spotted :-) Need to film again front on, but will wait till you are down!

Val said...

Only two weeks? And I am guessing with the celery trim. ;)

I recently found your book on Amazon completely by accident. I promptly ordered it! I have to wait until July for it to ship to the U.S., so I get to look forward to its arrival from now until then. Exciting!

jenj said...

He looks so much more comfortable already. That first video hurt to watch!

Nic Barker said...

Ah, thanks Val - I hope you enjoy it :-)

Yes, Flynn is another beneficiary of the celery trim LOL!