Friday, 12 January 2018

Dolly - further and better particulars

My first blog post of the New Year was a slightly gloomy progress report on Dolly, who had shown some improvement but had not yet managed the all-important heel first landing. 

Since then however she has been working well and steadily becoming more competent and at last when we filmed her today we could see that she had started to land properly. 

I took her comparison sole shots in the school as her feet were beautifully clean - the upper photos in each case are from the day she arrived - and its encouraging to see the changes. 

Her footage is here: https://vimeo.com/250768905 and from now on she should become much more confident. 

Tuesday, 2 January 2018

Dolly's update

Dolly's photos should have been posted last week but I was hoping for better weather and a better landing which unfortunately are not yet apparent. 
She does have a little more development in the back of her foot but she has not really made the progress that the other rehab horses have made over the past 8 weeks. 
Her frogs and heels are a little less contracted but it has not been enough to allow her to land consistently heel first, though she does manage an occasional heel first landing especially downhill. 



As you can see, she is growing her hoof capsule in at a better angle which is nice to see but we really need that to translate into better movement. 

Again, some improvement in her heels and frog but a foot which is still too weak for a solid heel first landing. 





Sunday, 24 December 2017

Wales' 7 week update

Happy Christmas to all blog readers and of course to all rehab horses and their owners, past, present and future! Before you all start tucking into the mince pies and brandy butter there is just time for an update on Wales. 
He arrived with extremely weak feet but as you can see although there is a lot still to do he has made some good changes. His foot is more upright and less under-run and his long toe is slowly coming back. 


One of the biggest challenges with Wales has been the central sulcus splits which as you can see are still a problem. Although I am treating them daily we have had incredibly wet weather which I am sure has slowed up the healing process.
However he is able to land heel first on both front feet now and that is one of the most important ways to promote better frog health. The damage to his sole at the toe in this photo is something which has occurred in the last few days and is a bit of a mystery. He was a bit tender on it initially but seems to be steadily getting better again now. 
You can see the split clearly from this angle but despite that this is a foot which is improving and the palmar hoof and digital cushion are clearly better than they were. 


This was his lamest foot and again its good to be able to see positive changes even though he has a way to go. 


Wales' New Year resolution should certainly be to deal with these splits and keep his palmar hoof heading in the right direction!

Saturday, 23 December 2017

Brandy's 7 week update

Unfortunately my camera battery conked out on me before I finished taking all Brandy's photo updates but here are the ones I managed to grab.

The most obvious change is in his frog and heels which are more robust now than when he first arrived. He has a better landing now which has allowed them to develop
 
The difference is particularly clear when you look at his foot from the caudal view where the improved digital cushion is visible.   


Thursday, 21 December 2017

Tabby's 7 week update

I am going to post updates on all the rehab horses over the next few days as they will all have been here for 8 weeks by the time we get to a few days after Christmas. 
Tabby was the only one who came in shoes and as I posted in her previous update its ironic that the shoes were intended for support. In fact her foot is far better supported out of shoes, as you can see if you study the back of her foot and how much less under-run it is now.
 
Similarly the shoes and pads actually restricted the function of her frog and heels and made them weaker. 
This photo shows her foot straight out of shoes and when you compare it to the same foot today, below, its clear how much more structure there now is at the back of her foot. 

This is still a foot in need of lots of time and mileage but the developments which are happening now would not have occurred were she still shod. 


The right foot is also in better condition now than it was in shoes. 

This foot has also dramatically improved over the last 8 weeks as it has had to start working for a living again. 

The asymmetry is interesting but not surprising and will change further as her foot continues to grow.
Better structure in the back of the foot with less distortion in the hairline as well. 
Updates on the others to follow!



Monday, 11 December 2017

We're a little late to the party...

 ...but catching up fast with an inch or so of snow this morning...
Of course the joy of having horses barefoot is that they are just as sure-footed as normal on the snow so we had a good morning out exercising in sparkling, crisp conditions.

Who knows whether we will get more snow this winter but it made a spectacular and welcome change from the rain and gales we had yesterday!